Moments that make you rise



So, I am a new mom which comes with its own learning curve and personal experiences. I also have a biracial baby in a dominantly white community. So a few months back I was checking out at the grocery store when a woman asked me when I got her, meaning my daughter. This question shocked me into silence and I am soft spoken by nature and avoid conflict. I responded yet chose not to educate the woman. So when I got home the question kept playing over and over in my mind. I was mad at myself for staying silent! I was mad at the woman's ignorance. But most of all I am my daughters voice and my own and I didn't use it.

Now today my daughter and I were at the farmers market sitting and looking out at the river. A woman comments what a beautiful baby. What is her name? I told her, which it is a unique name. Her response was oh what a pretty name, I just hate when people name adopted kids names like Jane. Pause me, this is really happening again. So, I choose to rise and say she is actually my biological daughter. This doesn't change the woman's tone or evoke an apology. But, I am choosing to use my voice and find my base to speak up in a manner that suits me as a person/ woman /mother. I left feeling that I educated her. I left feeling that I spoke up for my daughter. I left feeling that I didn't shy away from an uncomfortable situation.


                                                         IMG_4839   
           

Comments